Healthcare | Jobs | Education | Accountability in Government | Social Security & Medicare | Equality
Healthcare is a personal issue for me. As a cancer survivor and key contributor to Arkansas’s lifesaving healthcare program Arkansas Works, I understand healthcare is more than just a talking point. It’s the right of every child, woman, and man to dignity and a full life. Arkansas families should never have to choose between their health, their food, or providing for their family’s future.
- Protect Universal Access to Healthcare
- Lower prescription drug prices by allowing the federal government to negotiate good deals for healthcare consumers.
- Improve the Affordable Care Act (ACA) by stabilizing the insurance exchange markets.
- Incentivize insurers to participate in the exchanges, especially in rural and underserved areas.
- Achieve universal healthcare coverage to ensure everyone is able to see a provider so our families can receive the best and most efficient care possible.
I believe a job brings more to an individual, to a family, and to a community than any check could ever deliver. Many in our communities are still struggling. That’s why investments in infrastructure and the jobs of tomorrow, and support for small businesses and working families are essential to ensure every person who can work has the opportunity to do so.
- Increase federal investments in infrastructure to make sure that our communities are prosperous and competitive in the 21st Century economy.
- Expand the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) to make sure that our families are bringing home more of their paychecks to invest in themselves and their local businesses.
- Invest in rural broadband to connect our communities with opportunities in national markets right here at home.
- Lower taxes for our working families, while promoting policies that create a responsible and forward-looking federal budget.
Access to a quality education is access to opportunity. We must ensure that all Arkansans, both young and old, have the resources and opportunity to realize the most of their God-given potential.
- Increase investment in Pre-K and Early Childhood Education.
- Oppose federal funding of for-profit charter schools.
- Empower teachers in the classroom and reduce emphasis on arbitrary standardized testing.
- Protect the retirement funds of public school teachers by eliminating the Windfall Elimination Provision from the tax code.
Accountability in Government
Right now, our government lacks the basic values that we in Arkansas cherish so much, like courage, honesty, integrity, and a duty to serve. Our representatives have failed to look out for us and instead have towed the party line in order to further special interests and their own careers. We must enact key reforms to ensure that our representatives focus on the people, and not the politics of division.
- End partisan gerrymandering by giving independent, non-partisan commissions the task of redistricting.
- Enact comprehensive campaign finance reform to end the legacy of Citizens United and the spectre of dark special interest money in our politics.
- Defend our Democracy by ensuring that foreign threats stay out of our elections and domestic affairs.
- Return to congressional allocations in discretionary spending to create budgetary independence from the executive branch.
Social Security & Medicare
Our seniors have spent their lives working to give future generations a chance at a better life. They deserve full retirement benefits that let them live out their lives with dignity. That’s why I will fight ongoing attacks on Social Security and Medicare, and work to increase support for nutrition programs for seniors. These programs make all the difference for our seniors and retirees who have done so much for us.
- Safeguard the benefits Arkansans have worked their entire lives to earn by protecting Social Security and oppose calls for privatization of our seniors’ benefits.
- Improve access to healthcare by combatting waste and exercising appropriate oversight over the Medicare program.
- Make prescription drug costs affordable and oppose government pension offsetting.
All Americans, no matter their background, must be treated equally under the law. Every Arkansan has a stake in our future and each deserves the fullest opportunity to contribute to and share in our collective prosperity. This is a fundamental value that I carry with me every day.
- Equal pay for equal work. All Americans should be paid equally and treated fairly, no matter their gender or race.
- Repeal the Defense of Marriage (DOMA) Act entirely and ensure same sex couples equal access to benefits like social security, regardless of the state in which they live.
- Support measures like the Equality Act, which would provide the same nondiscrimination protections to LGBTQ Americans as any other protected class under federal law.
- Eliminate unreasonable and discriminatory Voter ID Laws. Congress must work together to combat laws that disenfranchise our most vulnerable and underserved citizens. Every man and woman has the right to vote and we must work to create a system where everyone feels they can exercise that right.